Thursday, July 26, 2007

A Fork, A Fork, My Kingdom for a Fork!

I went to visit my dad for lunch the other day and was surprised to see him feeding himself lunch. They have provided him with an oversized fork handle that he can grip and if he focuses he does a great job. I know I must have sat staring at him for a few minutes because it was mezmerizing to see him use his arms and hands and I felt overwhelmed with gratitude. He had to show off after this by standing up on his own, walking to the faucet, turning the water on and washing his hands. While the movement is simple and his fingers are not really his own yet, it definately brought the light at the end of the tunnel into view. I started envisioning him at home, able to do the basic things we all take for granted on his own. Hi will is so strong, I don't think I could ever have had the same resolve to improve as much so quickly. I know he gets overwhelmed and tired and the tasks can often seem like too much, but he rarely shows this and instead often poses for us in a flexing motion to show both his outer and inner strength. My dad, my hero.

1 comment:

Daniel B. said...

You know, if i were to be honest (which I avoid as much as possible. The truth can be so embarressing to me sometimes), I struggle with my forks, too. Britt says I eat like a buffalo, and sound like one, too.

Way to go, Will. We're keeping you in our prayers.

Thanks for keeping us updated, Lynz. I appreciate it.

Best!
Dan.