Monday, July 9, 2007

The Blessings

I would never wish my dad's accident upon him, however, the time I have been able to spend with him is more precious than anything. Last week we all took turns throughout the day and evening staying by his side. As we waited with him, massaging his arms and legs, warming his hands, feeding him and talking with him, the bond in our family grew ten-fold. As the oldest of five children (and even as an adult sibling) I have often felt I needed space from my family, alone time; however, as I watched with them, I couldn't get enough of them, especially my dad. We were able to open up to one another and tell eachother of our love with unabashed sincerity. Our patience grew with oneanother as we all shared the roles of leader, peacemaker, compassionate service provider and caregiver. No one went without feeling of the other's support.


Blessings have abounded as we have prayed together and seen the prayers of others in our lives. My dad has most recently stood up, taken five steps and sat in a regular chair. He is sleeping through the night and has sensation back thoughout almost all of his body. His pnemonia is subsiding and his spirits are rising everyday. I know that these things are all possible because of our Heveanly Father and His great love for us and because He does hear our prayers. He knows each and everyone of us individually and He knows my dad has alot left to do.

Thank you for all of your prayers thoughout this difficult time, they have given us much strength.
I will contiue to post progress and hopefully soon my dad will be able to journal his own thoughts. If you have any questions you can post them and I will get back to you.

2 comments:

Anjuli said...

This is so great to hear! Please tell Uncle Will that we love him and are glad to hear he is doing well.

Howard said...

WOW..
Thank you for sharing this with us. It is humbling as well as powerful to see great people deal with a huge challenge. Let us know if we can do anything...even as we continue to pray for you all.